14" diameter (inside) cast iron pan (this is important, the texture will be WRONG if you use glass or thin metal)
4T butter (0.5 1/4lb sticks)
28T butter (3.5 1.4lb sticks)
1.5c flour (should work with ~any kind, but I use white wheat flour)
4.5t baking powder
Square-round toothpicks (surprisingly hard to find, but your baking will come out much better with them; they've got round tips for poking, but square edges for catching batter)
- Warm milk in microwave a little (I just do 60s on high in the 1/2gal measuring cup I measure it in)
- Add vinegar to the milk. Let it sit at least 5 minutes while you do other stuff.
- Put 4T butter in pan. Preheat oven to 375F. While preheating put pan in oven until butter is melted. Then take pan out of oven.
- Melt 3.5sticks butter at least 70% in a 2c liquid measuring cup in the microwave (2min on high should work).
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl or kitchenaid.
- Break eggs into soured milk and mix it up well.
- Mix melted butter into dry ingredients, then mix milk-eggs into dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into pan, and move it around so it's sort of smooth on top. Bake 45min. Check with a toothpick. Bake longer if it doesn't come away dry.