2 gal whole milk
2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (~6 large lemons)
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/4 lb. softened butter
1 lb cream cheese (room temp)
Fresh cheese from above
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. each of grated orange and lemon rind
5 whole eggs (room temp)
2 egg yolks (room temp)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Slowly heat 2 gal of milk to almost boiling (at least 190F but not over 205F).
2. Stir in lemon juice.
3. Turn off heat. Wait at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Strain through fine cheesecloth removing nearly all of the whey.
Crust (prepare the crust while making the fresh cheese):
1. In large bowl combine flour, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla.
2. Make a well in the center of mixture, add egg yolk and butter and form into a dough.
3. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour.
4. Butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
5. Ball 2/3 of the cold dough and get it smooshy in your hands. Press it into a thin, even layer on the bottom of the pan, being careful to go to the corners but not up the walls.
6. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes until lightly browned, then remove and let cool.
7. Break remaining dough into 4 small snakes. Line the sides of the pan with the dough (the 4 snakes make it easier because you can do it 1/4 of the way around for each). The dough should be thick on the bottom and taper to nothing about 1" up the wall.
1. In 6qt mixer bowl combine the cream cheese, fresh cheese, sugar, flour, and orange and lemon rind.
2. Add eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and beat well.
3. Add heavy cream and blend thoroughly.
1. Add filling to crust.
2. Bake at 500°F for 10 minutes (rotate cake at 7m), then bake at 200°F for 140 min. Do not open the oven door between rotating and the 140 min timer beeping.
3. Check center with a square round wooden toothpick (no other shape really works right). The toothpick should have some cheese "grains" on it, but not be visibly wet. If wet, bake longer.
4. Allow cheesecake to cool on counter for at least 30min then refrigerate.
5. The cake should mostly separate from the pan walls as it cools. Before opening the spring, slide a knife along the edge to separate the crust from the walls.