1.5 lbs of the fanciest bacon you can find (e.g.
http://www.skagitriverranch.com bacon) chopped into strips 1/2" or smaller
3 large onions chopped fine
3 tbsp crushed garlic
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup brewed coffee
1 envelope gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
- Fry the bacon until mostly crispy.
- Move the cooked bacon into the slow cooker, leaving the grease in the
- Fry the onion and garlic in the grease until the onions are all clear
and starting to brown.
- Add the vinegar and coffee to the onions and boil 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker and stir thoroughly.
- Cook on low, partly covered for 12 hours.
- Add one envelope of gelatin to 1/3 cup cold water.
- Blend slow cooker contents with immersion blender (or transfer to a
food processor and blend it).
- Add the gelatin to the rest and stir.
- Transfer to jars and refridgerate. It should last at least 4
Next time I make it, I'm going to double the recipe so it fits in my
slow cooker better.
Almond Bread makes 1 loaf
5c almond flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whip eggs and vinegar.
- Mix eggs into dry ingredients.
- Pour into 4"x8" loaf pan.
- Bake at 300F for 45 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out